Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mikes Color Organ using an Arduino

Usually when I tell people about my color organ, I get a stare like "What is that?" A color organ takes the audio spectrum and breaks it up into sections, then it measures the audio level in each section. In my case, I turn on LED strips proportional to the loudness in each section. Think of it as something like a giant graphic equalizer.

I used an Arduino Microprocessor with a SparkFun MSGEQ7 Spectrum Shield to sample the audio, and a Power Driver Shield to drive the 6 different 16 ft. long LED strips.

I plan on taking it to some shows in the area in the near future. Here is a video of my Color Organ in the front window of my house. Music by The La De Les - They are amazing musicians, and wonderful people. Check them out if you get a chance.

UPDATE: Here is an article on my other blog complete with the Arduino source code: Mike's Color Organ

-- Mike


No comments:

Post a Comment